Here is a list of my updated publications. You can download the articles via the links below.
Peer-reviewed journal articles
- Xu, C. L. (2021). (Open Access) Portraying the ‘Chinese international students’: a review of English-language and Chinese-language literature on Chinese international students (2015–2020). Asia Pacific Education Review. https://doi.org/https://doi.org/10.1007/s12564-021-09731-8
- Xu, C. L. (2021). (Open Access) Time, class and privilege in career imagination: Exploring study-to-work transition of Chinese international students in UK universities through a Bourdieusian lens. Time & Society, 30(1), 5-29. doi:10.1177/0961463×20951333
- Li, J., Ai, B., & Xu, C. L. (2021). Examining Burmese students’ multilingual practices and identity positionings at a border high school in China. Ethnicities, 0(0), 1-20. doi:10.1177/14687968211018881
- Hu, Y., Xu, C. L., & Tu, M. (2020) (Free Access). Family-mediated migration infrastructure: Chinese international students and parents navigating (im)mobilities during the COVID-19 pandemic. Chinese Sociological Review. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1080/21620555.2020.1838271
- Yang, M., & Xu, C. L. (2020). Getting Ahead While Retaining Ethnic Salience: Educational Mobilities, Class, and Empowerment of a Tibetan Student in China. Asia Pacific Journal of Education. doi: https://doi.org/10.1080/02188791.2020.1833835
- Zhang, S., & Xu, C. L. (2020). The Making of Transnational Distinction: An Embodied Cultural Capital Perspective on Chinese Women Students’ Mobility. British Journal of Sociology of Education, 1-17. doi:10.1080/01425692.2020.1804836
- Xu, C. L. (2020). Tackling rural-urban inequalities through educational mobilities: Rural-origin Chinese academics from impoverished backgrounds navigating higher education. Policy Reviews in Higher Education, 1-25. doi:10.1080/23322969.2020.1783697 Download here a
- Xu, C. L. (2019). ‘Diaspora at home’: class and politics in the navigation of Hong Kong students in Mainland China’s Universities. International Studies in Sociology of Education, 1-18. doi:10.1080/09620214.2019.1700821 Download here 0
- Xu, C. L., & Yang, M. (2019). Ethnicity, temporality and educational mobilities: Comparing the ethnic identity constructions of Mongolian and Tibetan students in China. British Journal of Sociology of Education. Online First. doi: 10.1080/01425692.2019.1576121 Download here 1
- Xu, C. L., & Montgomery, C. (2018). Educating China on the Move: A Typology of Contemporary Chinese Higher Education Mobilities. Review of Education, 1-30. doi: https://doi.org/10.1002/rev3.3139 Download here 2
- Xu, C. L. (2018). Political habitus in cross-border student migration: A longitudinal study of mainland Chinese students in Hong Kong and beyond. International Studies in Sociology of Education, 27(2-3), 255-270. doi: 10.1080/09620214.2017.1415768 Download here 3
- Xu, C. L. (2018). Transborder habitus in a within-country mobility context: A Bourdieusian analysis of mainland Chinese students in Hong Kong. The Sociological Review, 66(6), 1128-1144. doi: 10.1177/0038026117732669 Download here 4
- Xu, C. L. (2017). Mainland Chinese students at an elite Hong Kong university: Habitus-field disjuncture in a transborder context. British Journal of Sociology of Education, 38(5), 610-624. doi: 10.1080/01425692.2016.1158642 Download here 5
- Xu, C. L. (2015). When the Hong Kong Dream meets the anti-mainlandisation discourse: Mainland Chinese students in Hong Kong. Journal of Current Chinese Affairs, 44(3), 15-47. Download here 6
- Xu, C. L. (2015). Identity and cross-border student mobility: The mainland China–Hong Kong experience. European Educational Research Journal, 14(1), 65-73. doi: 10.1177/1474904114565155 Download here 7
Media / Blog / Podcast
16 Dec 2020 Tu, M., Hu, Y. & Xu, C. L. 疫情留学回家路：解锁跨国家庭应急新功能. 学人说，缪斯夫人.
11 Nov 2020 Zhao, Y. 疫情之下，留学生艰难归国路：家庭何以成为跨国流动的兜底基建？界面文化.
11 June 2020 Cheng, Y., Yang, P. D. & Xu, C. L. Researching international student mobility into a post-pandemic future. COMPAS, University of Oxford.
1 June 2020 Xu, C. L. & Coates, J (interviewer). Cora Xu on the education mobilities of Chinese university students. The Migration Podcast, IMISCOE.
20 Mar 2020 Xu, C. L. ‘Diaspora at home’: class and politics in the navigation of Hong Kong students in mainland China’s universities. Hong Kong Insight, Hong Kong Studies Association.
4 Sept 2019 Xu, C. L. Mainland Chinese students in Hong Kong: Aspirations, tensions, ambivalence. Asia Dialogue.
22 May 2019 Xu, C. L. & Yang, M. The untold stories of two educationally mobile Mongolian and Tibetan students in China. Network for Research into Chinese Education Mobilities.
24 Dec 2018 Xu, C. L. Learning to write and to be in Cambridge (in Chinese: 在剑桥学写作和做人). Management Science Quarterly. 【管理学季刊 】(In Chinese)
24 Oct 2018 Xu, C. L. Educating China on the move: A typology of contemporary Chinese higher education mobilities. Network for Research into Chinese Education Mobilities.
22 Mar 2018 Xu, C. L. Dealing with journal rejections as an early-career researcher. FERSA University of Cambridge Blog.
18 Apr 2017 Xu, C. L. How to manage your time during the PhD: Balancing the thesis, writing for publications and gaining teaching experience. FERSA University of Cambridge Blog.
Xu, C. L. (2020). ‘Marginal’ student mobilities: Cruel promise, everyday mobile belonging and emotional geographies. British Journal of Sociology of Education, 41(5), 750-754. doi:10.1080/01425692.2020.1766813 Download here b
Xu, C. L. (2016). Chinese student migration, gender and family, Anni Kajanus (2015). Transitions: Journal of Transient Migration, 1(1), 139-141. doi: 10.1386/tjtm.1.1.137_5 Download here 8
Xu, C. L. (2016). Constructing modern Asian citizenship. Comparative Education, 1-2. doi: 10.1080/03050068.2016.1208498 Download here 9